A local radiator shop restored my gas tank but it turned out just "okay". I'm sure they will stand behind their work so I'll just go on with it. The nice thing is it's pretty well hidden behind a heat shield and the wheelhouse.
Inside the tank.
Outside, showing the area that was brazed. It looks like it was heavily brazed to me.
I finally had some time to start assembly of the half-shafts. The process seems easy but getting the caps to go in straight was a challenge. I used the press to help straighten when needed but it still took some time. Once the caps were straight, they seemed to be very easy to press on. One u-joint in an outer yoke ended up very tight which means some extra work on my part to free it up. I hope I don't have to pull it apart as that could ruin the caps. I was told that the u-joint crosses fit badly and that the joints weren't long enough to avoid excessive play in the cross. I have to say that for the most part, that wasn't the issue in my case. If anything, they are a little too tight in two instances.
My efforts to index each one to their respective piece paid off in that assembly was easy. Each male or female half was indexed to its respective mate and also to the side as a whole as seen here. I did this by grinding small indentations in the outer ends and also at corresponding locations on the male or female splined ends.
Here's the first cross caps being pressed into the outer yoke.
I found a radiator shop that was willing to braze up the holes in the gas tank, clean out the rust, and seal it up for about $125. I think the price is a good deal and I wonder if they're just slow. Hopefully everything turns out good. I'll pick it up soon.