Monday, June 4, 2018

The Trade

I traded my car body!

Here's the new, replacement car:


I now own a 1973 Pantera, which is different than my old car but still not too bad. I hauled the old car to Oklahoma City to meet up with Kirk Evans, who traded me for this car. He now owns 1998, which is fine with me. He has the skills to rebuild the entire car, so let him have it!

The new car is in much better shape than 1998. Much better shape is an understatement; the car is mostly original. The rear quarter panel has been replaced on the right side, and some work has been done on the decklid and left rear corner. Kirk added gussets and welded key areas, including welding up the unnecessary holes in the rear wheelhouses. There are a couple wrinkles that I hope to correct, such as in the firewall on the right side as well as in the rear wheelhouse. However, rust is minimal throughout the car and it all seems to be in excellent condition.

I've been working on the Coyote engine, so stay tuned for some updates on the engine progress.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Time to Sell (or Trade?)

On March 21st, I got a call from the body shop. The body guy told me that my car was beyond financial feasibility to fix, and that I should find another car. I was heartbroken, to say the least. I feel cheated in so many ways!

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Weber 48 IDF Intake for the 351C

I picked up an Aussiespeed intake for the 351 Cleveland from a guy in Texas that is importing them and selling them on eBay.  I like the fact that he has been importing these and saving everyone on on shipping.  Even though I'm working on a Coyote, I'm also keeping my 351 for originality.  If I decide to go back to stock, then Weber IDF carburetors are the way I'd like to go.  The Aussiespeed intake is a great way to go with Weber carburetors. Unlike the 48 IDF manifold from Hall Pantera, the IDF manifold is a lot shorter.  See the manifold measurements here.  Interesting that they have put my blog as a link there! I put the 40 IDF body I have on the intake to see how it fits.


I also found two brand-new 48 IDF's for a good deal on the internet.  I picked them up and will post when I receive them.  I plan to buy two more, but unless I can find them new, I'll just buy two brand-new from Redline.

I also plan to pick up all of the jetting and linkage needed from Jim Inglese. Jim understands the unique Pantera aspect and builds Weber setups with this intake manifold, and he agreed to sell me the linkage & jetting. My philosophy is that one day, these manifolds, etc. will be gone and I will have missed the boat.


Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Updates



Suspension was reinstalled. Note stablemate #2511 in the background.


New wheels look small!  The car was put on the frame rack but removed once it was determined that the previous baseline measurements from another car were illegible and needed to be redone.  This is how my car sits today.


I tore the engine down to a bare block and decided to rebuild the entire thing.


Crank removal.  The crank looks great, with minimal wear on each journal.


New Manley H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts were purchased.  Ford Racing uses these rods in their Aluminator engines, and I'm confident that they will be fine in my engine.


Mahle forged M142 alloy pistons were purchased 0.010" oversized to fit a machined block.  The Mahle pistons are 11.3:1 and have a 1mm/1mm/2mm ring pack and coated skirts. The M142 alloy is unique in that it combines the best of the 2618 alloys with the low-expansion 4032 alloys.  This means low noise and good service life while coming close to the ductility of 2618 pistons.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Coyote Engine Teardown, Part 3

I decided to tear the engine down further, not trusting what I was seeing in the cylinder bores.  The plan is that if the bores need only honing, I may just replace the rings and have the block honed & surfaced.  If the bores need more than honing, I will consider new forged pistons and rods. 

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Coyote Engine Teardown, Part 2

The Coyote engine cylinder walls weren't as good as I had hoped.  This means a further tear down.  Pictures of each cylinder wall: