Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sealing up the ZF

I made a lot of progress with the ZF.

Here's the side covers with axles installed.  The short length of 1-1/4" PVC pip was chamfered on the inside edge and used as a spacer block to install the axles without damaging the axle ball bearings. If the axles are pressed in without the spacer, there's a good chance that the axle ball bearings will be ruined.

I've installed the differential and ring gear in this photo.  The side covers have both been installed as well.  The side cover bolts are torqued to 30 ft-lbs.

I love the stainless hardware, installed with a bit of copper anti-sieze to prevent galling.  

Here's the bottom cover, installed, awaiting the cross bolts.  The bottom cover was secured by studs on early transaxles but ZF switched to bolts later.  The experts didn't hesitate to tell me to replace the studs with bolts.  The bottom cover bolts are just snug-tightened.  The cross bolts are torqued to 22 ft-lbs and shims are installed to take up the slack between the bottom cover and the side covers.

Here's the final product with hardware installed.  I still have a few things to do, such as send the shifter shaft to Dennis Quella to have him fit a splined adapter.  Dennis said that he fits the splined adapter to the shaft and if there's play, he welds it on.  He said it's important that there isn't any play in the assembly.  I also plan to get a stainless vent tube to replace the factory vent, which was removed prior to differential installation.

No comments: