Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Work continues on the ZF

I've been working on several things, but here's some paint progress.  Using Aluma-Blast paint, I painted the bottom cover, shift cover, and shift shaft cover.  I finished them off with several coats of satin clear coat.  The satin clear coat is invisible and the aluminum-like paint is very convincing. 

Here's the covers.  I really like the paint so far.

I've also been busy getting the case ready for paint.  I made a template of the side cover gasket areas to ease masking there.  Note that the gasket contact areas are considerably smaller than the actual gasket, so a direct tracing of the gasket doesn't work.  You can, however, get a good tracing of the bolt holes and main cover hole.  I stuck the thin cardboard cereal box on the bolts and used a rubber mallet to imprint the aluminum case face.  You need four sets, two with main holes and two without.  The two with holes are used on the side covers, and the two without on the case.  I did the same with the bottom cover, which made a slick thin cardboard cover for it as well.  The rear cover could be done in the same fashion using the gasket, but there are so many holes, I'm not sure it would work well.

No comments: